Fate/Grand Order: Is it a good game to play?

Make your own thread, write about anything and share your thoughts.
hayate

Fate/Grand Order: Is it a good game to play?

Post by hayate » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:47 am

Fate/Grand Order: Is it a really a Good Game to Play? (Part I)

Ever heard of the game Fate/Grand Order?

As I am nearing the final chapter of one of the most popular mobile games (mobage for those well versed in Nihon – go online slang) in Japan, I paused for a moment and thought to myself this:

Did I really enjoy this game?

To answer the second question, I must define what the first question asks.

For starters, Fate/Grand Order is a story by Kinoko Nasu. It talks about the Chaldea Organization and protagonists correcting the errors in history called “singularities”. You will be accompanied by Mashu Kyrielight, an employee of the Chaldea Organization as you go through these singularities.

As with the Fate series, you are a Master in the Holy Grail War. Objectives are almost the same: to get the Holy Grail. But in Fate/Grand Order’s case, instead of making a wish to the Grail, you obtain it to correct the singularity in that region.
Sounds like a fun game to engage to, until you get to the gacha part.

Gacha is a popular form of a gambling trade in Japan. Imagine a bubble gum stand. Instead of placing a ten – cent coin to just get the bubble gum, you spend way more cents to get the specific color of bubble gum that you want.
Placing probability rates doesn’t help in the slightest. And unless you’re a pay to play customer, be prepared to see the worst picks the gacha has to offer you.

Normally, equipment items and characters are separate gachas. Here in Fate/Grand Order, equipment items and characters are rolled from the same gacha pool (made even worse in Friend Point gacha where getting a silver character is enough salvation for your rolls), making the game the worst gacha pool that you can encounter in a gacha mobage.

But then, even with those disadvantages, the game grew in popularity. Even those who didn’t know about the Nasuverse can get a close look by what the story of this game advertises. The developing company DelightWorks only expected hardcore Nasuverse fans to be the primary customers. They certainly did not expect foreigners to understand their stories and references, which posed another problem to those who wanted to play this game.

The entire game is in Nihon – go. Those who wanted to play this game bad must have a basic understanding of Japanese language, or at least have an understanding of the kanji words “continue”, and “cancel”. Fortunately for some with only katakana and hiragana to rely on, the katakana made more sense for them since the word is written as pronounced by the Japanese (kyanseru, literally “cancel”).

Although there are ruby translations above the kanji, it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t carry any double meanings. I can list them, but it would take two or three blog posts and discussions before these can be resolved.

If you’re only in this game for the story, I can only advise you one thing. You can read the pastebins that are generously translated by those who took part. Trust me on that one, even after all of the chapters I’ve been through, I’m lost on what just happened there.

Part II will happen later. :)

[spoiler="The doctor will see you now"]Image[/spoiler]\n\n[spoiler="THE TRUTH ON MADOKA MAGICA"]Image[/spoiler]