Musicals

Talk about anything and everything. Remember to mind your manners!
Daniela

Musicals

Post by Daniela » Fri May 01, 2015 10:11 am

I was considering setting up an FC, but nope. This is not really a fanclub. Just general discussion.

Listening to musicals is a new obsession of mine. It's fascinating - a whole new side of the music world, where various songs, woven together, convey a story. (That doesn't mean I do not listen to mainstream music, of course, haha!)

That said, talk all about musicals here - English or otherwise, or even different versions of productions.

Some opening topics:
- Have you seen any musical/s, ever? Which one/s, and where?
- What is your favorite musical? Your favorite song from that musical?

Image\n\nArs longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.\n Life is short, art is long, opportunity fleeting, experience perilous, and decision difficult.

Asuna

Re: Musicals

Post by Asuna » Sat May 02, 2015 2:34 pm

omg I love this thread so much because I really like musicals X'D (Sorry in advance for the word vomit lol)

[spoiler="Stuff Ive watched live"]I've watched the AU cast of Wicked when they went here last year and a Filipino cast version of Into the Woods earlier this year.

Wicked is freaking awesome. I wanted to watch it twice but I got the measles shortly after I watched it for the first time T____T Defying Gravity is my ultimate favorite from that musical. X'D

I enjoyed Into the Woods but found it a bit too long for my tastes...although I think it's because my friend and I got hungry during the first half and didn't bring any food with us. We just wanted it to be over already so we could eat. Lololol. I did think Rachel Alejandro's version of Last Midnight was amazing though. o:

Disclaimer: The links I put above do not feature the people I've actually heard live..it's hard to find bootlegs that sound decent lol /shot[/spoiler]
[spoiler="Stuff I didnt watch live TT"]I've watched anniversary specials of Les Miserables and Phantom of the Opera. I also watched the sequel to POTO, Love Never Dies. I find it amusing that people cast in Les Miserables are usually in POTO too or vice versa XDD

Les Miz songs are all awesome but my favorite is probably this version of Do You Hear the People Sing? from the 25th anniversary.

My favorite from POTO is Music of the Night.

Incidentally enough, my favorite from Love Never Dies, Til I Hear You Sing is also sung by the same singer in the previous two videos, Ramin Karimloo lololol
Ramin Karimloo is looooove

(btw I watched the movie version of both these musicals and the actors' singing were NOTHING compared to the eargasm of real Broadway singers X'D)[/spoiler]
I've watched a few more musicals but they were bootlegs that weren't really decent so..they don't count. X'D

I'm planning to watch Singin' in the Rain when they come here in August...another musical to fall in love with!!! :feel:
[spoiler]Image
Awesome badge made by Myeolchi <3333[/spoiler]

Daniela

Post by Daniela » Sun May 03, 2015 11:18 am

OMG YAY Someone responded! I thought no one here likes these kinds of things, this being an anime site and all. High fives, Asuna sensei! <3

Despite being the one to start this thread, I haven't seen anything live. :cry

I have the 25th anniversary productions of both Les Mis and Phantom. The movie versions, too, but the live versions were better IMO. I also have Love Never Dies (don't like the story so much, but the music is just gorgeous).

:aha: Another Ramin fan! YASSSSS :feel: Spread the Ramin luuurvee <3

Ahem...

Evita is also interesting, gven how similar she is with Imelda Marcos. (And Here Lies Love , nuuu... Only heard some of the tracks from the concept album. Sooo disco-y.) Evita the movie has Madonna, Antonio Banderas and Jonathan Pryce.

In the same vein of female rulers, I was able to get an English subbed bootleg of Elisabeth, the German musical. Really nice, albeit a bit too morbid for my taste.

Miss Saigon, just some recordings, and a bootleg from YT. Really tragic, and really beautiful music, too.

My recently revisited loves right now, though, are Rodgers and Hammerstein stuffs. The Sound of Music and The King and I, if you check out some of my recent Confession thread posts, ohohohoho.

I wanna see Wicked! :sniff: I had duty when they came over to PH nuuu...

I know just the perfect bait for anime fans. Death Note will have a musical in Korea soon. Junsu of JYJ is L. Hong Kwang Ho from Miss Saigon West End is Light.

Sorry for a confusing post. Am typing on a tab only. Will fix this post when I get to a PC.
Image\n\nArs longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.\n Life is short, art is long, opportunity fleeting, experience perilous, and decision difficult.

Asuna

Post by Asuna » Fri May 08, 2015 5:31 am

It took me a while to reply because....my brain is bursting with love for musicals and I haven't had much time to write down my thoughts properly. Haha. XD

Now let me see... I have the 10th and 25th anniversaries of Les Miz. My friend swears the 10th is the best one ever, but I love the 25th more. Maybe because I'm a Ramin fan? LOL. I think the only weak point in the 25th anniversary is Nick (?) Jonas. (Well whichever Jonas brother he is lmao) His voice is so...weak compared to the others. It amazes me how powerful Broadway singers' voices are compared to singers who just record songs in studios.

Ramin x Sierra is my favorite POTO pair #biased :blush: I know there are better Phantoms/Christines but their chemistry is just...amazing. XD I agree that LND isn't really good story-wise, but the music is really good. XD Too bad there's only the AU version out..the few LND bootlegs I've watched of Ramin and Sierra aren't that good T_T

I've only watched the movie version of The Sound of Music T_T I'm sure the Broadway version is amazing. I'll try to find the songs/bootlegs. Same for Evita and the others you recommended :yaha: Bootlegs are a pain at times but..they're all we have (for now). One of my dreams is to go to Broadway or West End to watch musicals *_____*

I just found a sort of decent bootleg of Next to Normal, which I've watched in bits and pieces before. I discovered it because I like Aaron Tveit X'D but it's pretty nice imo

Whoa, JYJ is so popular that they let a Korean sing in a Japanese musical? So cool *____* Naruto's getting a musical too, I think? XDD

You should definitely watch Wicked someday! Hopefully they'll come back to the Philippines. I'd recommend one of the closer seats to fully appreciate the musical. The props and costumes are so pretty! :feel: Last time I watched from..around the middle seats? I'll definitely save up for a closer seat if they come back X'D
[spoiler]Image

Daniela

Post by Daniela » Sat May 09, 2015 12:22 pm

Again, I'm on a tab, lol. :))

I like the 25th better, too. The orchestra in it sounded better than in the 10th. But getting to hear Colm Wilkinson (original Valjean) in the latter was a treat. Lea Salonga as Eponine, too. I think it was Nick Jonas. I agree with you. He's okay on his own, but he stands out bad when he's singing with the others, especially when he's partnered with Enjolras (who, unfortunately, is the almighty Ramin. Ha!).

Oooh, Rierra fan! Me, too! <3 Can't ship them in real life, though. I love Ramin's wife and kids, too. :3 Here's Sierra's new vlog for her new musical It Shoulda Been You. Skip to the end for Rierra feels! :feel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LGmWQ-i5js

The AU production of LND was actually good. Heard they'd actually reworked the story from the 2008 original. Still don't like it, though. #biased

I've only seen the movies for The Sound of Music (Julie Andrews :feel:) and The King and I. (Yul Brynner *sigh*) I am currently following the Broadway revival of TKAI now, though. Really nice production! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy4PPoOeQhA

You may or may not recognize the King. It's Ken Watanabe from Inception and Godzilla ahaha :))

It's a Korean version of Death Note, but yeah, I think it's originally in Japanese. The production teasers look sleek and classy, like out of a K drama. I actually like that part of Junsu, that he doesn't just do Kpop idol stuff. He should be Marius next.

I will try to see Wicked soon. Actually, I will make seeing a Broadway show one of my lufe goals. In that respect we're alike. :3

Asuna

Post by Asuna » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:52 am

Hello musicals fans!!

I recently watched Singin' in the Rain. It wasn't as amazing as Wicked (but lbr Wicked is super awesome) but it was pretty fun. tbh I think I like the movie more, considering there were a few times I spaced out while watching the musical... /shot forever

The choreography is amazing though!! Props to everyone in the cast, there was so much dancing/tap dancing going on and it was so cool. The rain scene is the best. The people sitting in the front had to wear raincoats LOL
(I sat in the furthest seats cause I'm poor lmao)
[spoiler]Image

Daniela

Post by Daniela » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:11 pm

ASUNA SAN ASUNA SAN ASUNA SAN ASUNA SAN ASUNA SAN :KYAA:

http://www.rappler.com/entertainment/ne ... lle-ann-go

cough

Don't worry, I'll be back for the GOTM... :ano:

Asuna

Post by Asuna » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:13 pm

I SAW THAT EARLIER AND RAN AROUND SCREAMING I CANNOT WAIT SJDFHJKSDAHFJKLSGFSG
[spoiler]Image